GRP Replacement Building for National Grid at Bushbury 400KV Substation
Quinshield recently developed a ready built GRP building / enclosure/kiosk system which can be located over existing structures on location. National Grid are experiencing building failures on a large number of Substations all over the UK. The existing Competitor’s GRP structures have incurred significant structural degradation on the outer layer of Resin/Matt particularly on the roof & South facing walls allowing rainwater to penetrate the structural timber core.
The existing buildings cannot be removed due to the sensitive nature of the internal electrical equipment.
Features of this particular GRP Building System:
- Short manufacturing time due to unreliable electrical outage dates coupled with short notice periods provided by National Grid.
- The refurbishment building system was required to be installed in a relatively short period of time (usually less than 8 hours) due to limited shut down times on live substations.
- The structure needed to be delivered/installed ready built as a panel form installation would require internal access to the panel joints. This would not be possible due to the proximity of the existing building.
- The replacement structure had to be as close fitting to the existing building as possible to maintain safety distances from live 400KV electrical equipment.
Quinshield’s Endurance Range of GRP kiosks and buildings provide progressive and innovative enclosure solutions. A highly resilient moulded satin exterior finish is available in any colour from the BS 4800 range. Sizes and features are infinite in scope and can extend from small compact kiosks to large span buildings.
Our GRP kiosks and buildings are designed and manufactured to provide the most effective and economic solution to customer requirements
Quinshield’s Endurance kiosks and buildings are supplied throughout the UK and worldwide. Typical enclosure applications include:
- Fire resistance
- Sound proofing
- Electrical Installation
- Natural/Forced Ventilation
- Air Conditioning
- Load bearing floors/steel sub-frames
- Explosion relief
- Water Retaining
Quinshield offer a comprehensive delivery and installation service.
Through our continually improving controls and system, a culture of proactively promoting good customer care and service is rigorously pursued. With its long design life (in excess of 30 years), and its good potential for end of life recycling, our GRP products can help minimize the aspects and impacts associated with conventional build options.